Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sometimes people I photograph don’t make it.


Alejandro Montoya, 15, center of Exeter, who survived "Ewing sarcoma" a type of cancer and is in remission for the third time in five years, makes handprints on a flag that he made at a camp for kids and there families who have or have had cancer. On right is Montoya’s brother Martin, 8, and on left is his Mother Victoria. The Greek Orthodox Church sponsors this camp at St. Nicholas Ranch and Retreat. Montoya died with in a year of this photo being taken. © Visalia Times-Delta

I was going though my photo archives, and was surprised how many images I found of people who are no longer with us. Some old, some young, and I imagine a lot I don’t even know about have pasted. Not long ago I used to photograph between 2-3 thousand people a year (many of them military & military family)

Makes you realize how important photography is. The images I make, the little slices of life will outlast us and be a visual reminder to those left behind.

No comments: